Overview of REN Clean Skincare

REN Clean Skincare originated in Britain in 2000 on the foundation of "performance; purity; pleasure." This brand focused on natural, high-quality skincare, which brought them popularity amongst consumers in all 50 states and extending globally. In May of 2015, Unilever acquired REN Clean Skincare to be a part of their personal care sector. With Unilever's extensive reach and impressive global portfolio, REN Clean Skincare leaped. Not only does REN have fantastic products, but the ec0-friendly packaging puts this brand in a different class.  

REN Clean Skincare's Sustainability Strategy

REN Clean Skincare is a very sustainable skincare company on the market. This brand made a monumental pledge to become Zero Waste by the end of this year. The roadmap for this pledge includes all packaging to be either made from recycled materials, recyclable or reusable.  

REN does a great job of navigating sustainability. The word sustainability is hard to define and hard to pinpoint exact ways of doing so. Not only do they produce sustainable packaging, but they do this in many different avenues. Post-consumer resin (PCR), recyclable packaging at end-use, the use of ocean materials, and looking to reusable models show their vast portfolio of packaging design. REN is an excellent example for brands to look to when navigating their sustainability goals for the future.  

Sustainable Product Portfolio

The following are prime examples of their eco-friendly package designs for their natural skincare products:

An example of a sustainable product line is the Atlantic Kelp and Magnesium Anti-Fatigue Body Cream. As for the bottles, 20% of the plastic used is from Ocean Plastic collected by TerraCycle. The other 80% is created using post-consumer resin (PCR). Pumps are usually a limiting factor in recyclability and usually must be removed from the package. REN utilizes an innovative metal-free pump to allow this to be recyclable.  

REN also prioritizes reusable packaging in its product design. The Overnight Glow Dark Spot Sleeping Cream comes in a 100% recyclable glass jar and a 100% PCR plastic cap. Glass is not always recycled at local facilities, and REN notices this discrepancy. They recommend that people reuse this packaging as a container for other belongings.  

Another packaging innovation REN has brought to market is the first aluminum sample pack in the beauty industry. With the help of Tubex, this package can be re-closed and recycled. This innovation cuts down on plastic waste and is created from 95% PCR, and the rest is made from post-industrial recycled (PIR), meaning it is made from waste created in the industry. Aluminum is an infinitely recyclable material, and recycled aluminum saves 95% energy compared to virgin aluminum.  

Wrap Up on REN Clean Skincare

REN Clean Skincare is not only known for their clean formulas but also their concern for packaging.  Unilever saw potential in this British skincare company and acquired the brand.  Unilever also does intense work to push the envelope on sustainable packaging. There are many different ways to attack package sustainability. REN is getting creative with sustainable package design and innovation. This brand has solutions for various issues that hinder sustainability in containers. Incorporating sustainable materials to start and creating a sustainable end-life helps enforce a circular economy.